Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the 1902/1917 Neustader Building was in disrepair when Rejuvenation, Inc., a lighting manufacturer of period fixtures, purchased it for their offices, production facility and retail store. The design inserts within the existing shell a natural progression of ground floor retail, second floor production and third floor corporate offices. Originally constructed for the Neustader Brothers Garment Company, the building is actually two 50’x 200’ structures sharing a common wall. To connect the two structures a large opening was cut into the shared wall and reinforced with steel. Above, a clerestory window was re-opened to allow light to filter to the heart of the first floor retail below. Miscellaneous platforms and mezzanines were removed from the interior while the exterior was cleaned and restored to its original condition following the Secretary of the Interior’s standards for Historic Preservation. The project started the revitalization of Portland’s Central Eastside, a neighborhood in decline for many years, as a center for building products.

status

Completed

 

client

Jim Kelly

 

location

Portland, Oregon

 

budget

$2.8 Million

 

size

47,000 s.f.

 

team

Chris DiLoreto

 

project manager

Brian Keicher

 

structural

structural

 

mechanical

Marilynn Murray Jensen

 

imagery

Strode Eckert